Program 529: Touring Newfoundland; Rick Mercer's Canada Day; Drink Dat New Orleans
Release Date: 06-30-2018
Newfoundland actor and musician Alan Doyle recommends sights to best enjoy the rugged beauty of his island home in the Atlantic. And Canadian TV personality Rick Mercer shares his favorite places and things to do across Canada this summer. Plus, culinary historian Elizabeth Pearce raises a glass to New Orleans for its tri-centennial, and unveils tips for enjoying America's most "spirited" city through its distinctive cocktails.
- Singer/musician Alan Doyle, author of "Where I Belong" (Anchor Canada) and "A Newfoundlander in Canada" (Doubleday Canada)
- Comedian Rick Mercer, host of The Rick Mercer Report on CBC-TV
- New Orleans-based tour guide Elizabeth Pearce, author of "Drink Dat" (Countryman Press) and "The French Quarter Drinking Companion" (Pelican Publishing)
- Alan Doyle includes video productions of the songs from his latest album, "A Week at the Warehouse," on his AlanDoyle.ca website.
- Alan's latest book, "A Newfoundlander in Canada: Always Going Somewhere, Always Coming Home," describes what he learned about Canada in his early days as a traveling musician.
- Rick Mercer hosted the Rick Mercer Report for 15 years on CBC-TV in Canada.
- Rick Mercer's reports from across Canada are mapped out on an Atlas of Canada on his website.
- The Caribana festival in Toronto is held the first weekend of August.
More with Alan Doyle - Alan Doyle explains how the fishing industry has changed his hometown in Newfoundland, since the cod moratorium of the 1990s. (runs 1:02)