Program 532: England's Overlooked Cities; Lake District; Cozy Cotswolds
Release Date: 07-28-2018
British tour guides discuss their favorite overlooked cities to visit, beyond London. Plus, we learn what guides from the Cumbrian Lake District and the Cotswolds love about living in rural England, including recommendations for connecting with the regions' sometimes-eccentric folk culture and its literary giants.
- English tour guides Tom Hooper, Liz Boardman, Mark Seymour
- Yorick Harker, tour guide from Cockermouth, in the Cumbrian Lake District
- Lorraine Dineen, tour guide from Winchcomb, in the Cotswolds
- Tom Hooper is certified with the British Guild of Tourist Guides.
- The Lake District National Park Authority is celebrating National Parks Week in Britain, July 22-29.
- The Beatrix Potter estate at Hill Top is run by the National Trust. It includes a newly-opened trail linking the estate with the town of Hawkshead.
- The Wordsworth Trust operates Dove Cottage as a Lake District visitor attraction.
- Rick and Yorick recommend Keswick and Cockermouth as good base towns for exploring the Lake District.
- The Tour of Britain Cycle Race will again run through the Lake District on Friday, September 7, 2018, to Whinlatter Pass.
- Lorraine Dineen posts photos from her tours on Twitter.
- The Cotswold Olimpick Games are held on the first Friday following the Spring Bank holiday, near Chipping Campden.
More about England's Lake District - A listener in Tennessee asks Rick and Yorick about public transportation options in the Lake District. (runs 1:53)