Program 537: Caesar Shuffle; More Michael Wood's China; Pleasure Activist
Release Date: 09-08-2018
Roman tour guide Francesca Caruso recommends places to explore in the Eternal City that give you a particularly vivid feel for its centuries of history. Then historian Michael Wood describes how China's updated infrastructure makes it easy to reach his favorite sights in this fascinating country. And author Fred Plotkin discusses how you can eat and travel well when you engage your surroundings with an eye toward pure enjoyment.
- Rome-based tour guide Francesca Caruso
- Manchester-based historian and documentary producer Michael Wood
- Fred Plotkin, author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler"
- Francesca Caruso's website includes her contact information, and tips for securing tickets to major venues in Rome.
- Rick's "Caesar Shuffle" stroll includes many of Rome's major historical sites from two-thousand years ago. He discusses them in his free downloadable walking tour of Rome.
- The documentary series "The Story of China" is hosted and written by Michael Wood. It has aired on PBS stations in the United States, which features interactive games related to the series on the PBS website.
- Michael Wood wrote Nine Things You Should Really Learn About the History of China, when his series premiered in 2016 on BBC2.
- There's additional information from Michael Wood, as he discusses his documentary "The Story of China" on Travel with Rick Steves program #490 in July 2017.
- Fred Plotkin hosts occasional tours for New York Times Journeys, and blogs about music for WQXR radio.
- Fred has also written a definitive guide to food in Italy, "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler," and music guides "Opera 101" and "Classical Music 101."
Beijing night market
Deep-fried scorpion skewers
Our feet hurry past
— Debbie Hall, Escondido, California
Springtime in Devon
Newborn lambs primroses praise
Drink cream tea with me
— Sally Slotterback, Lavelle, Pennsylvania
In Portugal, this
vegetarian fell for
the black pork sandwich
— James Rodgers, Pacific, Washington