Program 546: Greek Godmother; Lidia's American Dream; Promised Land
Release Date: 12-01-2018
A Greece-based tour guide describes the elevated role of godparents in her adopted country, where godparents become a lifelong part of the child's family. Then TV chef Lidia Bastianich shares the story of her family's flight from Yugoslavia, and the successful family business they were able to start in America. And former NBC Middle East correspondent Martin Fletcher explains how his latest novel, set in Israel during its early years as a modern state, evokes the extraordinary drama of Israeli life in that era.
- Greece-based tour guide Maria Sioulas
- Lidia Bastianich, host of "Lidia's Italy" and author of "My American Dream" (Knopf)
- Correspondent Martin Fletcher, author of "Promised Land" (Thomas Dunne-St. Martin's Press)
- Lidia Bastianich hosts the "Lidia's Italy" cooking show on public TV. She's authored a number of cookbooks, and her latest title is an autobiography, "My American Dream."
- Lidia has recently started a magazine called "Lidia's Italy at Home."
- The latest novel by Martin Fletcher, "Promised Land: A Novel of Israel," takes place during the early years of the modern state of Israel.
- Martin was also Rick's guest in 2016 and 2013, talking about what it takes to be a war reporter on program #463, the experiences of Holocaust survivors on program #431, and tells us what he observed walking the length of Israel's Mediterranean coast on program #254a.