Program 548: German Christmas Markets; Christmas in Madrid, Sicily, Ireland, Hebrides
Release Date: 12-22-2018
We'll look at what makes the cozy Christmas markets of Germanic Europe so treasured. Then we'll hear about special Christmastime traditions from around Europe, including Spain, Sicily, Ireland, and Scotland's Hebrides Islands.
- Berlin-based tour guides Iris Andre and Fabian Rueger
- Madrid-based tour guides Amanda Buttinger, Federico García Barroso, and Javier Menor de las Casas,
- Sicily-based tour guide Alfio Di Mauro
- Ireland-based tour guides Cathie Ryan and Dara Herlihy
- Scotland-based tour guide James Macletchie
- The English-language web pages for the Nuremburg Christmas Market.
- Enjoy Berlin lists five of its favorite Christmas markets in Berlin, starting with the Gendarmenmarkt, which Fabian also likes best.
- Rick spoke with a Christkind at a Christmas market in Bavaria in his Rick Steves' European Christmas special. Rick's European Christmas special is also available in a gift pack, with an accompanying book and CD of Christmas music from the show.
More with Cathie Ryan - Cathie Ryan from County Louth and Dara Herlihy from County Kerry share childhood memories of Christmas in Ireland. (runs 1:59)