Program 548a: German Christmas Markets; Christmas Memories Madrid, Sicily, Ireland, Hebrides
Release Date: 12-19-2020
Brighten your socially distanced holidays by looking at the extra observances our friends in Europe normally celebrate this time of year. Listen in as Rick's friends from Germany, Spain, Sicily, Ireland, and Scotland tell us how they have traditionally enjoyed the holidays where they live.
- German tour guides Iris Andre and Fabian Rueger
- Madrid-based tour guides Amanda Buttinger, Federico Garcia Barroso,
- Sicily-based tour guide Alfio di Mauro
- Ireland-based tour guides Dara Herlihy and Cathie Ryan
- Scotland-based tour guide James Macletchie
- Travel and Leisure has links to some of this year's virtual Christmas markets in Europe.
- BBC News explores how the pandemic has impacted this year's holidays in Europe.
- Rick spoke with a Christkind at a Christmas market in Bavaria in his Rick Steves' European Christmas special. A DVD of the Christmas special, plus an accompanying book and music CD, are available in a gift pack from the Rick Steves Europe travel store.
- Cathie Ryan's solo albums of Irish and folk music are featured on her website.
- James Macletchie posts photographs of the Scottish Hebrides on his website.
More with Cathie Ryan & Dara Herlihy - Cathie Ryan from County Louth and Dara Herlihy from County Kerry share childhood memories of Christmas in Ireland. (runs 1:59)