Program 548b: German Christmas Markets; Christmas in Madrid, Sicily, Ireland, Hebrides
Release Date: 12-24-2022
We'll hear how the traditional Christmas markets of Germanic Europe set the mood for the season. And we'll learn about Christmastime events that bring everybody out on the streets of Madrid and Dingle, and cozy holiday celebrations in homes on Sicily and Scotland's Hebrides.
- German tour guides Iris Andre and Fabian Rueger
- Madrid-based tour guides Amanda Buttinger, Federico Garcia Barroso, and Javier Menor de las Casas
- Sicily-based tour guide Alfio di Mauro
- Ireland-based tour guides Dara Herlihy and Cathie Ryan
- Scotland-based tour guide James Macletchie
- Travel and Leisure has links to virtual Christmas markets in Europe.
- Rick spoke with a Christkind at a Christmas market in Bavaria in his Rick Steves' European Christmas special on public television. A DVD of the Christmas special, plus an accompanying book and music CD, are available in a gift pack from the Rick Steves Europe travel store.
- Fabian Rueger has been working on an app called Packupine to help you plan how to pack for a variety of trip scenarios.
- Amanda Buttinger offers tours of Madrid and surrounding areas.
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso is based in Madrid.
- Javier Menor offers customized guiding itineraries in and around Madrid, Toledo and Segovia.
- Dara Herlihy operates Aisling Tours from Dingle, Ireland, and also owns Neligan’s Bar at 2 Main Street.
- Cathie Ryan's solo albums of Irish and folk music are featured on her website.
- James Macletchie posts photographs of the Scottish Hebrides on his website.
More with Cathie Ryan - Cathie Ryan from County Louth and Dara Herlihy from County Kerry share childhood memories of Christmas in Ireland. (runs 1:59)