Program 550a: Expats in Italy; Maeve in America
Release Date: 01-16-2021
American ex-pats tell us why they chose to make a new home for themselves in Italy — and how they make it work. And Irish comedian Maeve Higgins explains what it's been like moving to New York from a small town in County Cork and getting accustomed to American ways. She also tells us about the stories of fellow immigrants that she has gotten to know.
- Ann Long, tour guide from the Amalfi Coast region of Italy
- Anna Piperato, tour guide from Tuscany, Italy
- Comedian Maeve Higgins, author of "Maeve in America" (Penguin)
- Ann Long can be contacted for tours in Italy through her Facebook page.
- Art historian Anna Piperato leads tours of Siena in Tuscany.
- Maeve Higgins is the author of "Maeve in America." She posts to Twitter and also writes opinion pieces for the New York Times.
- Topic.com hosts Maeve's immigration podcast interview series.
- Maeve co-hosts monthly stand-up comedy in Brooklyn, which live streams at Butterboy Comedy.
- Variety spoke with Maeve about her leading role in the film "Extra Ordinary."
Winter in Rouen
Memories of warmth and love
Apples and Monet!
— Pamela Burton, Coral Springs, Florida.
Miles in my Berlin
Winter morning cold at best.
Bundle up. I am off.
— Ally McLean, Berlin.
Still the Eternal City
Even with the flu…
The hotel clerk smiles
"Rooms are cold in November
This is widely known!"
I am in Paris
While my impatient luggage
Flies on to Oslo…
— Don Nelson, Hilliard, Ohio