Program 556a: Flamenco Fan; Four Seasons in Lesotho; Faux Pas
Release Date: 07-17-2021
A flamenco enthusiast from Sweden explains her lifelong passion for the fiery dance traditions of southern Spain. Then writer Will McGrath tells us what he learned from his neighbors while living in southern Africa's small mountainous nation of Lesotho. And Rick checks in with listeners to hear how the mistakes they've made as travelers became openings to connect with local culture.
- Stockholm-based tour guide Asa Danielsson
- Will McGrath, author of "Everything Lost Is Found Again" (Dzanc Books)
- Rick noted several of his favorite venues for viewing a flamenco performance in Seville on his blog.
- Contact information for tour guide Asa Danielsson in Stockholm is on her Facebook page.
- Will McGrath wrote "Everything Lost is Found Again" to describe his experiences living in Lesotho. Will and his wife also wrote "Infected Kin: Orphan Care and AIDS in Lesotho" about her epidemiology work in southern Africa.
- Tourism information about Lesotho: The Kingdom in the Sky.
The earth cracked and split
a maze called the Grand Canyon
river's course defined
Patches round and square
farmer's geometric art
patterns on the earth
ice crystals on the window
evidence of cold
Lily pads of ice
floating in frigid waters
Not a place for frogs
Walk upon the clouds
body's impossible dream
playground of my mind
— Donnie Willett, San Diego