Program 563: Tides; New Horizons Beyond Pluto; London Gardens
Release Date: 05-04-2019
Extend your vicarious travels beyond the solar system by listening in as the head of NASA's New Horizons project describes his mission to explore beyond Pluto. Then learn about the world's craziest tidal action, and the "celestial dance" that causes it, from a marine conservationist. And hear from English tour guides about their favorite experiences in London’s many inviting parks and gardens.
- Marine conservationist Jonathan White, author of "Tides" (Trinity University Press)
- Planetary scientist Alan Stern, lead for NASA's New Horizons project, and co-author of "Chasing New Horizons" (Picador)
- Liz Boardman and Jeanie Carmichael, tour guides to London
- Jonathan White lives by the sea in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. In his book "Tides: The Science and Spirit of the Ocean," he explores the complex tidal forces that affect the earth, and describes where he's traveled, to explore some of the world's most interesting tidal conditions.
- Alan Stern is the head of the New Horizons space mission, exploring Pluto and beyond into the Kuiper Belt. He's co-authored "Chasing New Horizons" to describe the work that has gone into making the mission happen.
- Images from New Horizons of its January 1, 2019 flyby of Ultima Thule, photos it took of Pluto and its moons, and the current status of New Horizons' extended mission into the Kuiper Belt are on this website maintained by Alan Stern's team at Johns Hopkins University.
- The Great British Gardens website has details about the Chelsea Flower Show, the Chelsea Physic garden, and the public gardens at Buckingham Palace, Hampton Court, Hyde Park, Holland Park, Kensington Gardens, Kew Gardens, and Regents Park, among others.
- The National Garden Scheme publishes an annual guide to more than 3500 of the most intriguing private gardens across England and Wales, that open to the public for annual charity fundraisers. It's what was formerly called "The Yellow Book."
- The Chelsea Flower Show is being held May 21-25 in 2019.
- The Garden Museum is adjacent to Lambeth Palace in London.
More with Dr. Alan Stern - Dr. Alan Stern tells Rick about the reliability of the systems that operate the New Horizons spacecraft, as it sails beyond the solar system, through the vacuum of space. (runs 3:20)