Program 569a: Best National Park Experiences; Northland; San Francisco Day Trips
Release Date: 06-26-2021
Writer Porter Fox tells us what he discovered when he followed the US-Canada border from Maine to Washington State. Then writer and photographer Becky Lomax shares her favorite national park experiences. And guidebook author Kimberley Lovato recommends day trip options for enjoying beaches, redwood groves, and wineries within easy reach of San Francisco.
- Becky Lomax, author of "USA National Parks" (Moon)
- Porter Fox, author of "Northland" (W.W. Norton)
- Kimberley Lovato, co-author of "100 Things to Do in San Francisco Before You Die" (Reedy Press)
- Becky Lomax has compiled a detailed list of tips on accommodations, activities, and highlights in the U.S. national parks in her Moon guidebook, "USA National Parks." It was updated in 2020.
- Becky adds that reservations are required through September 30, 2021 to enter Yosemite National Park, and through October 11 to enter Rocky Mountain National Park. Reservations are also required through Sept. 6 to drive the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park and through Oct. 19 to access Cadillac Summit in Acadia National Park.
- Porter Fox wrote about the start of his journey in the north woods of Maine for the New York Times. He describes his borderland journey in his book "Northland." Porter is also editor of the online literary travel magazine "Nowhere."
- Kimberley Lovato is co-author of "100 Things to Do in San Francisco Before You Die."
- Kimberley co-authored "Quartraits" with her photographer brother, to document how people in Los Angeles endured the pandemic lockdown.