Program 573: Taste of Sicily; Cycling the Silk Road; Turkey 2019
Release Date: 08-03-2019
Discover what makes the food in Sicily arguably the tastiest and most interesting in all of Italy. Then hear what it's like to bicycle 10,000 miles along the old Silk Road, from Turkey to Tibet. And Turkish tour guides give an update on tourism in Istanbul.
- Tommaso Pante, tour guide based in Sicily
- Nina Bernardo, Italian-American tour guide based in Rome
- Kate Harris, author of "Lands of Lost Borders: Out of Bounds on the Silk Road" (Dey Street / Knopf Canada)
- Lale Surmen Aran, tour guide/proprietor of SRM Travel in Istanbul
- Yaren Turkoglu, archeologist and art historian/tour guide for SRM Travel, based in Istanbul
- Tommaso Pante includes his mother's recipe for arancini and other Sicilian favorites on his website.
- "Rick Steves Sicily" is the newest entry in Rick's series of travel guidebooks.
- Kate Harris is the author of "Land of Lost Borders," her first book. She includes video and photo highlights from her 10,000k Silk Road bicycle adventure on her website.
- Lale Surmen Aran is proprietor of SRM Travel, based in Istanbul.
- Lale and her husband Tan Aran co-author the Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook.
More with Lale Surmen Aran - The main pedestrian thoroughfare in Istanbul, Istiklal Caddesi, is often packed with locals and visitors alike. Lale Surmen Aran tells Rick where many of the tourists you might be able to identify in the crowds are coming from. (runs 2:14)