Program 584: My Town; Lidia's Flavors of Italy; Wine Expert
Release Date: 11-23-2019
The host of the TV show Lidia's Italy describes how the special of the day varies from region to region in the homes and restaurants of Italy. We'll also hear from a Madrid-based wine expert on tips to better enjoy what you're drinking, and listeners tell us what makes their hometowns feel special.
- Chef Lidia Bastianich, TV host of "Lidia's Italy" and author of "My American Dream" (Knopf)
- Madrid-based wine expert Nygil Murrell
- Lidia Bastianich is the host of the "Lidia's Italy" cooking show on public TV. She also operates an Italian food enterprise, with restaurants and specialty products.
- Lidia tells her family story, of resettling from Istria to metro New York, in her book "My American Dream." Her newest cookbook is "Felidia: Recipes from My Flagship Restaurant." She also publishes a magazine called "Lidia's Italy at Home."
- Nygil Murrell teaches wine appreciation in Madrid, and leads tour groups around Spain. He notes that wine experts may be trained and accredited by the Guild of Sommeliers in the U.S., or at the Wine and Spirit Education Trust, based in London.
The U.S. best kept secret
— Amy Shuman, Cleveland, Ohio
City on the Lake:
Worldly, artistic, friendly,
Sweet Home Chicago!
Nestled by the sea,
charming historical squares
— Barbara Martinez, Savannah, Georgia
San Juan bike touring
Spirit soars high and pulls me
Like a big blue sail
— Mike Michalek, Sequim, Washington