Program 584a: My Town; Lidia's Flavors of Italy; Wine Educator
Release Date: 11-19-2022
Listeners tell us what makes their hometowns feel special, then the host of the TV show Lidia's Italy describes the remarkable diversity among the regional cuisines of Italy — and how each naturally features whatever's particularly delicious from a given area. Then a Madrid-based wine expert shares tips for food pairings and fully enjoying what you're drinking.
- Chef Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, host of "Lidia's Italy" and author of "My American Dream" (Knopf)
- Madrid-based wine educator Nygil Murrell
- Lidia Bastianich is the host of the "Lidia's Italy" cooking show on public TV. She also operates an Italian food enterprise, with restaurants and specialty products.
- Lidia tells her family story, of resettling from Istria to metro New York, in her book "My American Dream." Her newest cookbook is "Lidia's A Pot, a Pan, and a Bowl: Simple Recipes for Perfect Meals."
- Nygil Murrell teaches wine appreciation in Madrid, and leads tour groups around Spain. He notes that wine experts may be trained and accredited by the Guild of Sommeliers in the U.S., or at the Wine and Spirit Education Trust, based in London.
Program 584A "Hometown Haiku" awards
The U.S. best kept secret
— Amy Shuman, Cleveland, Ohio
City on the Lake:
Worldly, artistic, friendly,
Sweet Home Chicago!
Nestled by the sea,
charming historical squares
— Barbara Martinez, Savannah, Georgia
San Juan bike touring
Spirit soars high and pulls me
Like a big blue sail
— Mike Michalek, Sequim, Washington