Program 588: Travel Mode; Amsterdam Manners; Family Travel Plans
Release Date: 12-28-2019
Make it your New Year's resolution to travel well. Writer Seth Kugel recommends a few rules for a "travel mode" that helps us focus on the world around us, and not on our phones. A Dutch tour guide helps us avoid the lines in Amsterdam to better enjoy and appreciate the city. And listeners share their upcoming family travel plans to Europe.
- Seth Kugel, author of "Rediscovering Travel" (W. W. Norton)
- Dutch tour guide Ellen Janzing
- Seth Kugel is the author of "Rediscovering Travel: A Guide for the Globally Curious."
- Seth writes travel articles on occasion for the New York Times.
- Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, and Anne Frank House all offer advance ticket reservations online.
- Rick writes about bicycling in Amsterdam as a way to engage your senses in the city.
- Rick also recommends visiting the Amsterdam Tropical Museum and the Dutch Resistance Museum.
- Rick writes about enjoying "Fiat-free Italy" in the Cinque Terre region.
More with Anne Doig and Ken Hanley - Scottish tour guides Anne Doig and Ken Hanley remind Rick of the lively New Year's Eve traditions they observe in Edinburgh. (runs 4:00)