Program 608: Checking on Friends in New York and Italy; Lessons From Nature
Release Date: 07-18-2020
As a summer close-to-home unfolds, Rick checks in with friends in New York and Italy: Cultural maven Fred Plotkin tells us how he's used the downtime to start new projects, and tour guides from Rome, Venice, and Siena describe what their cities' gradual re-openings have meant to them. Plus, nature writer Gary Ferguson shares eight master lessons Mother Nature wants to teach us.
- Cultural maven Fred Plotkin, at home in New York City
- Anna Piperato, tour guide/art historian at home in Siena
- Stacy Gibboni, tour guide/artist at home in Venice
- Francesca Caruso, tour guide at home in Rome
- Nature writer Gary Ferguson, author of "The Eight Master Lessons of Nature" (Dutton)
- Fred Plotkin had a one-hour Zoom video conversation with Rick on his Idagio podcast in June 2020.
- Anna Piperato offers virtual tours of Siena online.
- Venice-based artist and guide Stacy Gibboni includes samples of her artwork on her website.
- Francesca Caruso's website includes her observations from Rome, and tips for visiting the city's major attractions.
- Gary Ferguson has written more than two dozen books about the natural world. His wildwords.net website includes information about his latest title, "Eight Master Lessons of Nature."
More with Gary Ferguson - Rick and Gary Ferguson discuss how nature is a natural stress reliever, and the specific health benefits of taking a hike. (runs 3:23)