Program 636: Athens Neighborhoods; Digital Nomads; Venice Lagoon
Release Date: 04-24-2021
An American "digital nomad" tells us how he's figured out how to work from home, overseas in the Republic of Georgia. Guides from Athens tell us how their city became a cleaner, more attractive metropolis for exploring ancient and modern Greece after they spiffed up for the 2004 Olympics. And we wade into the issues behind the flooding that often threatens Venice.
- Apostolos Douras, tour guide from Athens, Greece
- Filippos Kanakaris, tour guide and theatre director from Athens
- Mike Swigunski, author of "Global Career: How to Work Anywhere and Travel Forever" (self-published)
- Fred Plotkin, Italophile author of "Italy for the Gourmet Travelers" (Kyle Books)
- Stacy Gibboni, artist and tour guide from Venice
- The Rick Steves online guide to Athens.
- Apostolos Douras and Filippos Kanakaris provide tour guiding services in Athens.
- Mike Swigunski shares his tips for working from overseas countries in his self-published book "Global Career: How to Work Anywhere and Travel Forever."
- Mike offers pointers for managing a remote workforce in Forbes magazine.
- Estonia has announced a program to attract digital nomads.
- The online Rick Steves guides to Venice and its nearby islands.
- Fred Plotkin is the author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" and "Opera 101."
- Venice-based artist and guide Stacy Gibboni includes samples of her artwork on her website.
Venice is sinking
as Vivaldi plays
while the earthboat
Reaching for a hand
in pockets closed
to a lover's grasp
Palazzos and pigeons
Gondolas in moonlight
Bridges that sigh
Is Venice sinking
— Maureen Mullin of Virginia Beach, Virginia