Program 640: Invisible City; Under the Wave at Waimea
Release Date: 06-05-2021
There's an invisible layer to the city where you live. It's meant to make your life easier, but is easy to overlook. Roman Mars of the podcast "99% Invisible" helps us examine how our urban environments are designed. And author Paul Theroux tells us how he explores getting older and the surfing culture near his home on Oahu's North Shore in his latest novel, "Under the Wave at Waimea."
- Roman Mars, author of "The 99 Percent Invisible City" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Paul Theroux, author of "Under the Wave at Waimea" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Roman Mars is the author of "The 99 Percent Invisible City," and hosts the "99 Percent Invisible" podcast and radio feature series.
- The organizers of "Parking Day" are encouraging coordinated events in multiple cities on September 17, 2021.
- Paul Theroux celebrated his 80th birthday with the release of his latest novel, "Under the Wave at Waimea."
- Paul notes the influence on his work of the image in the famous Japanese woodblock "Under the Wave Off Kanagawa" by Katsushika Hokusai.