Program 707: Islands of Britain; Italy for Food Lovers; Flavors of Florence
Release Date: 03-11-2023
English actor Martin Clunes recommends some of his favorite smaller British isles among the many he visited while filming a travel documentary. Then Rick checks in with Italian-food expert Fred Plotkin to celebrate the completion of their new guide to Italy's regional cuisine. And a Florence-based tour guide lets us in on her favorite food and wine shops for showing off her city's culinary delights.
- Actor Martin Clunes, host of the "Islands of Britain" documentary (ITV)
- Italy impresario and cavaliere Fred Plotkin
- Florence, Italy–based tour guide Toni Mazzaglia
- Martin Clunes' "Islands of Britain" documentary series was produced by ITV Productions. It airs from time to time on local public television stations in the U.S., and is often available to watch on streaming services.
- The World Pilot Gig Rowing Championships are being held April 28-30, 2023 in the Scilly Islands, off the tip of Cornwall.
- Radio Times provides spoilers on the final episode of Martin Clunes' "Doc Martin" TV series.
- Fred Plotkin co-authored the Rick Steves "Italy for Food Lovers," released in January 2023.
- Fred posts links to his live Friday arts interviews on Idagio from his Twitter feed. He also posts episodes on YouTube.
- Toni Mazzaglia operates the Taste Florence walking tours to food and wine venues in Florence.
- The Eataly chain of specialty Italian food markets has an outlet in Florence.
More with Fred Plotkin - Fred Plotkin and Rick discuss the Italian notion of "campanilismo" -- identifying with, and possibly longing for the sound of the bell tower you heard from home. (runs 2:03)
More with Toni Mazzaglia - Italian-American food tour guide Antonia Mazzaglia and Rick discuss the success of the Italian specialty food market Eataly around the world, and how it fits into the scene in Florence. (runs 1:47)