Program 714: Uniquely Georgian; Amsterdam 2023; Puzzle of Polynesia
Release Date: 05-13-2023
Hear about the natural beauty and rich culture that await visitors in the Republic of Georgia, where Europe meets Asia. Then get an update on the travel scene in Amsterdam, where recent regulations attempt to minimize the impact of "nuisance tourists," and a renovated riverfront has become a pleasant place to escape the often crowded city center. And learn how early Polynesian navigators managed to populate the most far-flung islands on earth.
- Tour guide and travel writer Tim Tendick
- Amsterdam-based tour guide Dennis Gerrits
- Christina Thompson, author of "Sea People: The Puzzle of Polynesia" (Harper Collins)
- Tim Tendick posts photos and observations from the dilapidated spas of Tskaltubo in Georgia on his Vagabond Urges website. It includes information about his tours of Romania.
- Dennis Gerrits offers custom tours of Amsterdam and Holland.
- Advance online purchase of a timed-entry ticket is required to visit the Anne Frank House.
- Amsterdam's waterfront on the River Ij has become a popular destination in recent years.
- Christina Thompson is the author of "Sea People: The Puzzle of Polynesia." Christina is also editor at the Harvard Review Online.
- Information about the Polynesian Voyaging Society and its landmark sails around the world using traditional navigation techniques. The Hokule'a is embarking on a multi-year Pacific circumnavigation, starting in Juneau, Alaska in June 2023.
Chicago in spring -
ancient river and the trees
all one clover green
Here too the lover
all the poets sing about -
full Chicago moon
— Deborah A. Bennett, Carbondale, Illinois
Friendly like a gift
Hanging out in Madison
You feel at home
— Art-Paul Schlosser, Madison, Wisconsin:
Dante whispers, soft
Medici majesty reigns
Duomo spirits rise.
— Catherine Johnston, Spokane, Washington