Program 351a: Italy On and Off the Rails; Romantic Amalfi Coast
Release Date: 03-24-2018
Author Tim Parks, a long-time resident of Verona, shares his observations about Italy’s railway system, and what it can tell us about the Italian mindset. And two tour guides from the Amalfi Coast take listener calls while exploring the highlights of their scenic southern corner of Italy, from Positano to the isle of Capri.
- Tim Parks, author of "Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo" (Norton)
- Ann Long and Aldo Valerio, tour guides based in southern Italy
- Tim Parks wrote the best seller "Italian Neighbours" about his experience settling into Italy, and he's also authored a number of novels. His website includes information about his 2013 book, "Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo."
- Tim also writes about literature and current affairs for the New York Review of Books.
- Website reservations, in English, for TrenItalia.
- Rick writes about when it’s a good value to buy rail passes in Italy.
- Aldo Valerio provides customized tours in southern Italy and Malta with Secret Italy Tours.