Program 371: French Riviera; The Discovery of France; Paris Day Trips
Release Date: 07-12-2014
French tour guides share tips for enjoying the highlights of the glittering Côte d'Azur, as well as recommendations for elegant day trips from Paris. Plus, author Graham Robb tells us what his bicycle adventure across the French countryside taught him about France's provincial character and history.
- Patrick Vidal, French tour guide
- Virginie Moré, French tour guide
- Graham Robb, author of "The Discovery of France," "Parisians," and "The Discovery of Middle Earth" (W. W. Norton)
- Elisabeth Van Heist, tour guide based in Paris
- Antoine Bonfils, French tour guide
- Rick's itinerary suggestions for the French Riviera.
- Trip Advisor participants discuss sights and itineraries in the Côte d'Azure of France, including the Cour Saleya market in Nice.
- Graham Robb has his works listed on his publisher's site at W. W. Norton.
- "The Discovery of France" won a number of prestigious awards when it was first released in 2007. Graham Robb has since written "Parisians: An Adventure History of Paris."
- Graham Robb's latest book is about the Celts, and is called "The Discovery of Middle Earth" (W. W. Norton). It has been released in the U.K. under the title "The Ancient Paths" by Picador / Pan Macmillan.
- Rick says the Château de Versailles is the most extravagant palace in Europe.
- The English-language website for the Château de Vaux le Vicomte includes admission information, when the fountain water shows are on, and details for arriving by public transit from Paris.
- Rick and fellow travelers offer advice for planning a visit to the palaces at Versailles and at Vaux le Vicomte.
- The Rick Steves website has online interviews with France tour guides Patrick Vidal and Elisabeth van Heist.
Paris, a jewel box.
A delight for the senses.
A discreet lady.
— Christopher Pecharka, Dana Point, California
A Paris cafe
Croissant and cafe au lait
C’est magnifique, eh?
— Barbara Belknap, Juneau, Alaska
In France long ago
Longing to return so soon
More years pass on by
— Zach Brown, Acworth, Georgia
More with Graham Robb - Graham Robb tells Rick where he's discovered his fellow Brits like to settle in France. (runs 3:06)