Program 487: Scandinavian Solstice; Italy 2017
Release Date: 06-17-2017
Hear how the summer solstice is celebrated in Scandinavia, where the official start of summer is a big deal. Then listen in as Italian friends discuss the effects of their country's high unemployment rate — and how Italians are meeting the challenge — before taking listener calls to share tips for a "dolce vita" vacation. And come along as we visit with some Tuscan craftsmen keeping traditions alive in their hill town home.
- Pal Johansen, tour guide from Oslo
- Nina Bernardo, Italy tour guide from Rome
- Cecilia Bottai, Italian tour guide and vintner
- Ann Long, Italy tour guide from Sorrento
- Feature on Montepulciano, Italy from Cameron Hewitt
- There are traditions surrounding St. John's Eve in a number of countries, in addition to the Scandinavian ones.
- Many Swedes like to welcome in the summer with the "frog dance" around a maypole.
- Norwegians in the town of Alesund set a record for the world's tallest bonfire in 2016.
- The Economist discusses why it's so difficult to form a lasting government in Italy.
- Information about the towns of Orvieto, Volterra, Siena, and Lucca.
- Cecilia Bottai’s family winery near Orvieto is called Tenuta Le Velette.
- Bologna is an historic university city and culinary destination, an hour north of Venice.
- Rick writes about ciccetti pub crawls in Venice, and posts a video about food tours in Rome's Testaccio neighborhood.
- Food Republic lists a number of aperitivo bars in Milan.
- Eurostar and Italo operate most of the high speed passenger trains in Italy.
- Cameron Hewitt posts photos of the craftsmen he met in Montepulciano.
Travel Impressions Haiku
Wake to new smell dawn
Strange tongue clangs pans of breakfast
— James Conroy, Sigourney, Iowa
Old-fashioned farms and houses
How I'd hate to leave.
— Elliott Fullner, Wisner, Nebraska
Bloomsday in Dublin
Straw hats, dresses sweep the streets
Slainte, to your health!
— Beth Shorestein, Jacksonville, Florida
Chocolate, Waffles, Fries
Belgium feeds my inner child
While I sip great beer!
— Bridgit Horne, Bellevue, Washington