Program 531: Flaneur in Paris; Misunderstood Parisian; Alsace
Release Date: 07-14-2018
Hear about the charms of France's Alsace region from local tour guides. A Parisian guide explains how visitors' expectations lead to misunderstandings and faux pas. Plus, Fred Plotkin shares how you might find the best croissant you've ever tasted in Paris.
- Fred Plotkin, tour guide, music journalist, and author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" (Kyle Cathie Ltd. Publishers)
- Arnaud Servignant, tour guide based in Paris
- Virginie Moré, tour guide based in Lyon
- Julie Sonveau, tour guide based in Burgundy
- Patrick Vidal, tour guide based in Brittany
- Fred Plotkin writes "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" and occasionally leads tours for New York Times Journeys.
- Correspondent Elaine Sciolino wrote "The Only Street in Paris." about living on the Rue des Martyrs that Fred talks about today. Elaine discusses it on Travel with Rick Steves program 450 from July 2016.
- A map of the arrondissements of Paris. The Rue des Martyrs is in the 9th.
- Arnaud Servignant's website lists the full day and half day walking tours he offers.
- Rick writes about visiting Strasbourg, the largest city in the Alsace region.
- The Isenheim Altarpiece is on view in Colmar.
- Kaysersberg was voted as the favorite small town of the French in 2017.
- Virginie Moré can be contacted through her website.