Program 535: Pan-American Road Trip; Souvenirs; Open Phones
Release Date: 08-18-2018
Hear author Teresa Bruce describe how she retraced a poignant family road trip all the way down the Pan-American highway. Then listen in as we weigh the value of souvenirs with travel writer Rolf Potts, who shares insights on the origins of the travel-gift industry. And reminisce with fellow listeners who’ve called in to share the travel memories evoked by recent episodes of the show.
- Teresa Bruce, author of "The Drive" (Seal Press)
- Travel blogger Rolf Potts, author of "Souvenir" (Bloomsbury)
- Teresa Bruce, author of "The Drive," posts photos from both of her Pan-American road trips on her TeresaBruceBooks.com website.
- Teresa describes her family's original road trip to South America on the Pan-American Highway on Travel with Rick Steves program #517.
- Rolf Potts examines the importance of gift shops, relics and mementos in his new book "Souvenir." It's part of the "Object Lessons" series by Bloomsbury.
- Rolf explores travel literature in his blog.
- Rick recommends Sir John Soane's house museum in London to view an amazing collection of souvenirs.
- Rick writes about collecting cultural souvenirs in Europe.
More with Teresa Bruce - Rick asks Teresa Bruce what she and her husband ate on their road trip down the Pan-American Highway to South America. (runs 1:15)