Program 575a: Europe Hiking; Exploring Athens; Grooviest Gardens
Release Date: 04-18-2020
Get inspired to rediscover the world when it's safe to travel again with an episode that takes us to a number of special outdoor venues. We'll get more ideas for exploring the long-distance hiking trails of Europe, find out about improvements to the neighborhoods of Athens, and discover the world's most interesting contemporary gardens.
- Cassandra Overby, author of "Explore Europe on Foot" (Mountaineers Press)
- Filippos Kanakaris, tour guide and director of Syn Dromos Theatre Company, Athens, Greece
- Maria Sioulas, tour guide from Athens
- Botanist Christopher Wood, author of "Garden Lust" (Timber Press)
- Cassandra Overby is the author of "Explore Europe on Foot," which includes mile by mile information for 15 long distance walking trails.
- Rick's online guide to the highlights of Athens.
- Trip Advisor provides maps and photos of the different neighborhoods of Athens.
- Rick describes his favorites aspects of the town of Nafplion (Nafplio) in a travel guide on this website. Guests from Nafplion described the city to Rick on Travel with Rick Steves program #522 in April, 2018.
- Filippos Kanakaris is associated with the Syn Dromos contemporary theatre company in Athens.
- Christopher Woods wrote the book "Gardenlust" as a botanical tour of 50 of the world's best contemporary gardens. He posts blog commentaries at his UrbaneHorticulture.org website.