Program 602: How Berlin Remembers; Turkish Delights; Travel to Bhutan
Release Date: 05-23-2020
Learn about the traditional Turkish comfort foods and desserts that you can enjoy from the shops and street vendors of Istanbul. An American who's married to an artist in Bhutan explains what's required for visitors to tour the Himalayan kingdom. And guides from Germany describe the monuments to their country's turbulent history that you'll find in Berlin.
- Germany tour guides Holger Zimmer and Fabian Rueger
- Turkey tour guides Lale Surmen Aran and Yaren Turkoglu
- Linda Leaming, author of "Married to Bhutan" and "A Field Guide to Happiness" (Hay House)
- There are online bios for Fabian Rueger and Holger Zimmer on the Rick Steves website.
- Holger Zimmer offers custom tour guiding in Berlin, where he also contributes arts and culture features for RBB kulturradio.
- Turkish tour guides Lale Surmen Aran and Yaren Turkoglu are based at SRM Travel in Istanbul. Lale is also co-author of the Rick Steves Istanbul guidebook.
- Linda Leaming has been living in Bhutan for more than two decades. She is married to Bhutanese thanka painter, Phurba Namgay, and is the author of "Married to Bhutan: How One Woman Got Lost, Said I Do, and Found Bliss," and "A Field Guide to Happiness."
- Linda posts occasional blog entries about life in Bhutan on her Married to Bhutan website.
staring at the sign
wishing I could read kanji
cherry blossoms fall
— Cam M. Sato, Williston, Vermont
Board the shaky train
the next adventure awaits
right out the window
— Meredith Anderson, Seattle
Carrying bags up
a mountainside for trekkers
later, burn my poop.
— Jan Pylar, Eugene, Oregon
Great Wall of China
Serpentine in its splendor
A business trip, eh?
— Padma Lakshman, Woodinville, Washington