Program 625: Snowdonia; Outposts; Natural Slovenia
Release Date: 01-09-2021
British travel writer Dan Richards explores the historic outposts and refuges you can visit that are scattered among some of the most dramatic scenery on earth. Plus, local guides tell us about the outdoor possibilities in their home turf, from Wales' highest views at Snowdonia National Park to the surprises you'll find in the elaborate underground caves of Slovenia.
- Welsh tour guide/archeologist Martin de Lewandowicz
- Dan Richards, RLF Fellow at Bristol University, and author of "Outpost: A Journey to the Wild Ends of the Earth" (Canongate)
- Tina Hiti and Sašo Golub, tour guides from Lake Bled, Slovenia
- Snowdonia National Park calls itself "one of Britain's breathing spaces."
- The Snowdon Mountain Railway takes you to "the rooftop of Wales."
- Martin de Lewandowicz offers private guiding services from his home base in northern Wales.
- Dan Richards is the author of "Outpost: A Journey to the Wild Ends of the Earth."
- He spoke with Rick about visiting the forest outlook in the Cascade Mountains of Washington State, where writer Jack Kerouac once stayed, on Travel with Rick Steves program #579 in October, 2019.
- Dan wrote the section about the Holloways of Dorset, in southern England, in the prose-poem book "Ghostways." Co-author Robert Macfarlane spoke about that on Travel with Rick Steves program #620 in November, 2020.
- Dan also posts frequently to Twitter.
- The Rick Steves destination guide to Slovenia includes information about Lake Bled and the Julian Alps region.
- The Skocjan Caves Park is considered the largest underground cavern system in Europe.
- The "human fish," or olm, is a type of salamander found in the caves of Slovenia.
- Tour guides Sašo Golub and Tina Hiti' can be contacted at the PG-Slovenia website.