Program 652: Gastro Obscura; Disney World Update; Memory Lane
Release Date: 09-25-2021
A writer with Atlas Obscura describes some of the world's most unusual foods — and extraordinary places to eat them. Then the author of Frommer's guide to Orlando shares tips for visiting Disney World, which has introduced big changes to its reservations system just in time for its 50th anniversary. And listeners share some of the travel memories that have helped keep their spirits up amid pandemic-delayed travel plans.
- Cecily Wong, co-author of "Gastro Obscura" (Workman)
- Jason Cochran, author of "Frommer's EasyGuide to Disney World, Universal and Orlando 2020"
- Cecily Wong co-authored the new Gastro Obscura guide from Atlas Obscura. It's due in bookstores on October 12, 2021.
- Gastro Obscura has amassed a dining guide of more than 1000 noteworthy restaurants to eat at around the world.
- Jason Cochran writes guidebooks to Orlando and London as editor-in-chief at Frommers.
- He also wrote "Here Lies America" after visiting battle monuments and sites of historic tragedies and what they revealed about how American history is written, and re-written. Jason spoke with Rick about that on Travel with Rick Steves program #606 in July 2020.
- Walt Disney World has revised its online reservation requirements before you arrive.
More with Cecily Wong - Cecily Wong, co-author of the new "Gastro Obscura" book from Atlas Obscura, describes the insects she's eaten. (runs :59)