Program 676: Birth of Korean Cool; Perfect Week in Portugal
Release Date: 05-14-2022
Journalist Euny Hong explains how South Korea has made itself not only an economic powerhouse but a pop-culture superpower. And tour guides from Portugal join Rick to share recommendations for planning a week's getaway to Lisbon, Porto, the Algarve, and the colorful, historic towns in between.
- Euny Hong, author of "The Birth of Korean Cool" and "The Power of Nunchi" (Picador)
- Claudia da Costa, tour guide from Lisbon
- Fátima Bugarin, tour guide from Tomar, Portugal
- Euny Hong is the author of "The Power of Nunchi: The Korean Sixth Sense for Winning Friends and Influencing People" and "The Birth of Korean Cool."
- The Korea Investment Corporation is funded by the South Korean government to promote Korean branding and products.
- Euny writes in Politico about how American influence is impacting the annual Eurovision Song Contest.
- You can listen to Euny's earlier appearance, in which she discusses "The Power of Nunchi" as a distinctly-Korean interpersonal skill, on Travel with Rick Steves program #592 from February 2020.
- Claudia da Costa offers tours in and around Lisbon.
- Fátima Bugarin offers tours in and around Lisbon. She can be contacted through the Synotrip website.
- The Rick Steves online guide to Portugal.
More with Fatima Bugarin - Portuguese tour guide Fatima Bugarin explains the historical significance of her hometown of Tomar Portugal, with a Knights Templar castle built in the 12th century, and a town grid planned by Prince Henry the Navigator. (runs 2:04)