Program 687: More California Day Trips; Olmsted Bicentennial; Celebrating Eastern Europe
Release Date: 09-03-2022
Travel writer Chris Baker returns with more ideas for fun day trips from LA and San Francisco, including his home base of Palm Springs. Then historian Laurence Cotton joins us to celebrate the 200th birthday of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, whose parks and civic projects have given so many American cities a lasting natural legacy. And a Rick Steves guidebook co-author describes the colorful variety travelers can enjoy among the countries of central and eastern Europe.
- Travel writer Christopher P. Baker, author of "Perfect Day California" (Reedy Press)
- Historian Laurence Cotton, producer of the PBS documentary "Frederick Law Olmsted: Designing America"
- Cameron Hewitt, senior writer/content manager at Rick Steves' Europe
- Christopher P Baker is the author of the roadtrip guide "Perfect Day California: Daily Itineraries for the Discerning Traveler."
- Chris’ website includes links to his travel writing, photography, and information about his tour guiding in Cuba and Colombia.
- Chris spoke with Rick about motorcycling across Cuba on Travel with Rick Steves program #358 in 2014. He also appeared many times with topics related to travel in Cuba on programs 4, 85, 341, 399, 440, 455, and 471. His interview about Costa Rica was on program #138 in 2008, and he spoke with Rick about Colombia on #422 in 2015.
- Laurence Cotton first released the documentary "Frederick Law Olmsted: Designing America" in 2014.
- Laurence’s hour-long presentation on The Olmsted Legacy to the New Britain Museum of American Art is available to view on YouTube.
- The Olmsted 200 website lists activities that continue to celebrate the Olmsted bicentennial.
- The New York Times commemorates the Olmsted bicentennial with a special interactive feature of images from parks he designed.
- Cameron Hewitt recently authored "The Temporary European." He shares photos and thoughts from his recent travels in his blog entries as well.
- Rick and Cameron recommend a "Best of Eastern Europe" travel itinerary.
More with Laurence Cotton - Laurence Cotton compares how Walt Disney structured his theme parks in similar ways to Frederick Law Olmsted’s parks, where a theatrical design hides the infrastructure. (runs 4:24)