Program 694: Highlands of Scotland; Art of Spain; Sweet Home Alabama
Release Date: 11-12-2022
Get expert advice for planning a trip to the majestic Scottish Highlands. Then hear about some of Spain's most influential artists, from El Greco to the modern day. And discover what's making Alabama an increasingly popular destination for international visitors.
- Scottish tour guide Anne Doig
- Gene Openshaw, lead writer for the "Rick Steves Art of Europe" TV series
- Callout to Madrid-based tour guide Javier Menor
- Alabama tourism director Lee Sentell
- Anne Doig is a certified tour guide based in Edinburgh.
- The Rick Steves online guide to the Scottish Highlands.
- Gene Openshaw researched and wrote the scripts for the "Rick Steves Art of Europe" TV series. He also co-authored "Europe's 100 Top Masterpieces" with Rick.
- Javier Menor offers guiding services and customized itineraries in and around Madrid, Toledo and Segovia. http://theguidingcompany.com/
- Lee Sentell is the director of tourism for the state of Alabama.
- Lee has also authored a guide to historical sites along the U.S. Civil Rights Trail.
- The National Veterans Day Parade celebrated its 75th anniversary in 2022 in Birmingham.
Pgm 694 Window Seat Haiku
The earth cracked and split
a maze called the Grand Canyon
river's course defined
Patches round and square
farmer's geometric art
patterns on the earth
Walk upon the clouds
body's impossible dream
playground of my mind
— Donnie Willett, San Diego
More with Javier Menor - Madrid-based tour guide Javier Menor tells Rick, and Gene Openshaw, how the Reina Sofia Museum has been rearranging its collection thematically. (runs 1:54)