Program 715: San Juan Islands; Martin Sheen’s Travels; Imagine a City
Release Date: 05-20-2023
Hear about the "personalities" that differentiate the biggest of the San Juan Islands, which cluster in the northwest corner of Washington State. Then listen in as actor Martin Sheen describes how his experiences filming overseas have come to influence his political activism. And get a professional intercontinental pilot's perspective on travel and lifelong wanderlust.
- Chandler O'Leary, author/illustrator of "On Island Time: A Traveler's Atlas" (Sasquatch Books)
- Actor/activist Martin Sheen
- Pilot Mark Vanhoenacker, author of "Imagine a City" (Knopf)
- Chandler O'Leary illustrated her entries about the islands of the Salish Sea in the Pacific Northwest, with her own watercolor sketches, in her book "On Island Time."
- A retrospective of Chandler's art work, "Drawn to Tacoma: The Illustrative Art of Chandler O'Leary," is on exhibit through May 24, 2023 at Collins Memorial Library at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Washington.
- Sucia Island is a Washington State Park in the San Juan Islands.
- Martin and Emilio's movie "The Way" was originally released in 2010. The revised version, which includes a conversation with Rick at the end, is available to watch on streaming services.
- Information about Martin Sheen's career, personal life, and political activism is included on his Wikipedia page.
- Mark Vanhoenacker is the author of "Imagine a City: A Pilot's Journey Across the Urban World."
- Rick spoke with Mark about his book "Skyfaring" in 2018 on Travel with Rick Steves program #426a and program #460a.
- Cameron Hewitt provides tales from his European travels in his book "The Temporary European." He shares photos and thoughts from his recent travels in his blog entries as well.
More with Martin Sheen - Actor Martin Sheen explains how the religion of his youth in Ohio was challenged by what he saw in India. And how a chance meeting with an old friend in Paris helped Martin to focus his political views and activism, and to reconcile with his faith. (runs 6:11)