Program 719: Rocky Mountaineer; Gulf Islands BC; Global Perspective; Piecing Together America
Release Date: 07-01-2023
Hear about making family memories in western Canada along the historic Rocky Mountaineer train line. Explore the Gulf Islands in the Salish Sea. Learn more about confronting culture clashes in overseas travels. And discover the best local crafts in each of the 50 states.
- Rick Antonson, author of "Train Beyond the Mountains: Journeys on the Rocky Mountaineer" (Greystone)
- Chandler O'Leary, author of "On Island Time: A Traveler's Atlas" (Sasquatch Books)
- Dr. Anu Taranath, author of "Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World" (AK Press)
- Daniel Seddiqui, author of "Piecing Together America" (self-published)
- Rick Antonson is the author of "Train Beyond the Mountains: Journeys on the Rocky Mountaineer."
- The Rocky Mountaineer includes a new American route, between Denver, Colorado and Moab, Utah.
- Chandler O'Leary illustrated her entries about the islands of the Salish Sea in the Pacific Northwest, with her own watercolor sketches, in her book "On Island Time."
- The Gulf Islands of British Columbia include a National Park Reserve.
- Salt Spring Island is the most-visited of the Gulf Islands.
- Chandler also spoke with Rick about visiting the San Juan Islands, on the U.S. side of the border, on Travel with Rick Steves program #715 in May, 2023.
- Dr. Anu Taranath consults students and business travelers, and is the author of "Beyond Guilt Trips: Mindful Travel in an Unequal World."
- Daniel Seddiqui writes about the local crafts and foods he found in 50 cities across the United States in "Piecing Together America." He also writes about his experience, working "50 Jobs in 50 States."
"Reunions" Haiku Awards
Tired train greeting time
Anxious wives hug new, old friends
Home to sandwich cake
First stop, the sweet shop
On to three-hundred-year home
As if yesterday
Friends looking seasoned
Brothers for thirty-six years
Talk flows like water
— Terry Toland, Vancouver, Washington
Crows call in the wind
Brown earth smudges the grey cloud sea
Fine mist sprays to sky
— Barbara Schrefer, Clearwater, Florida
Blue sky, golden fields.
Flag unfurling at sunrise.
— Natalia Warren, Orlando, Florida