Program 653: Ærø Island Denmark; Emilia-Romagna; Italian View of Sicily
Release Date: 10-02-2021
Find out what makes the small Danish island of Ærø a perfectly charming and cozy getaway, which region Italophile Fred Plotkin considers Italy's greatest source of culinary and cultural achievements, and why the large island of Sicily is such a favorite with visitors, whether from elsewhere in Italy or abroad.
- Danish-born tour guide Nina Seffusatti
- Italian food and culture expert Fred Plotkin
- Italian tour guides Susanna Perrucchini from Rome and Alfredo Vitale from Naples
- Fred Plotkin hosts live arts and culture interviews on the Idagio platform on Fridays.
- Fred is also the author of "Italy for the Gourmet Traveler" and "Opera 101."
- The historic porticoes of Bologna have now been awarded UNESCO world heritage status.
- The Rick Steves online guides to the island of Sicily, and the city of Ravenna in the Emilia-Romagna region in the north of Italy.
- Afredo Cafasso Vitale offers tours in Naples and the Campania region of southern Italy.
More with Fred Plotkin - Fred Plotkin explains how the porticoes that give the architecture of Bologna a distinctive, elegant look, are just one facet of the refinement of the city and its region, Emilia-Romagna. (runs 3:44)
More with Susanna Perrucchini and Alfredo Vitale - Italian tour guides Susanna Perrucchini and Alfredo Vitale tell Rick how the rest of Italy, and the European Union, provide financial support to Sicily, and how the island is now taking a leading role in using solar and wind power. (runs 4:16)