When we learn of important changes to the information in our guidebooks on Iceland, we post them here. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
- Low-cost Iceland-based carrier WOW Air has ceased operation.
- The correct telephone number for the Sjávargrillið restaurant is +354 571-1100.
For books printed before October 2018, the following may also apply:
- I Heart Reykjavík is discontinuing its daily group walking tour. They still offer a private walking tour – check their website for the latest offerings.
For books printed before June 2018, the following may also apply:
For books printed before June 2018, the following may apply:
- On the South Coast, the Eyjafjallajökull Erupts Exhibition on highway 1 is closed.
For books printed before February 2019, the following may apply:
- The Hvalfjörður tunnel (connecting Reykjavík to Borgarnes) is now toll-free.
- The Borgarnes B&B has closed.
- The Sæheimar aquarium of Vestmannaeyjar has closed, and replaced by the new open-air Beluga Whale Sanctuary, housing two beluga whales in Heimaey Island's Klettsvik Bay (across the harbor from Vestmannaeyjar). Its visitors center in Vestmannaeyjar includes an aquarium, puffin rescue center, and in summer a shuttle-boat service allowing visitors to view the whales.