Scandinavia's heartland, Sweden is far bigger than Denmark and far flatter than Norway. This family-friendly land is home to Ikea, Volvo, ABBA, and long summer vacations at red-painted, white-trimmed summer cottages. While nearly 80 percent of its landscape is wilderness, Sweden's capital, Stockholm, is Scandinavia's grandest city.
At a Glance
▲▲▲ Stockholm Bustling capital of Sweden, with its charming island core of Gamla Stan, Europe's original — and unsurpassed — Skansen open-air folk museum, the Vasa museum (17th-century warship), and the Nordic Museum's look at five centuries of Swedish lifestyles.
▲▲ Kalmar Bustling small city with massive 12th-century Kalmar Castle and nearby holiday island of Öland.
▲▲ Uppsala University town that's home to a historic cathedral and the Linnaeus Museum.
▲▲ Drottningholm Palace Lavish royal residence just outside Stockholm, with nearby Baroque-era theater.
▲ Stockholm's Archipelago Sweden's rocky garden of more than 30,000 islands, best seen on a boat trip from Stockholm.
▲ Sigtuna Sweden's oldest town, with rune stones and 18th-century buildings.
▲ Växjö Small town smack in the middle of southern Sweden with a first-rate emigration museum and the Smålands Museum of glass-making.
▲ Glass Country Touristy woodsy area known as the "Kingdom of Crystal" for its concentration of glassmaking workshops.
- Europe’s Emigration Museums: Remembering the Long Goodbye
- Living It Up on the Stockholm–Helsinki Overnight Boat
- Uppsala: Sweden’s Ancient Capital and Top College Town
- Kalmar and Växjö: Castles, Glass, and Small-Town Sweden
- Sweden’s Glass Country Sparkles
- Cycling Through Stockholm
- Europe’s Best Island Getaways
- Relaxing in Stockholm’s Idyllic Archipelago
- Sightseeing — and Coffee Sipping — in Super, Sleek Stockholm
- Stockholm’s Delightful, Diverse Day Trips
- Stockholm’s Noble Past and Present
- Time Traveling at Europe’s Open-Air Museums
- Wrecks, Rafts, and Replicas: Scandinavia’s Remarkable Maritime Museums
- European Food Treats (43:07)
- Modern Sweden (13:31)
- Nordic Cousins (15:38)
- Norse Mythology (25:58)
- Running a Hostel in Europe (21:18)
- Scandinavian Crime Fiction (18:21)
- Scandinavian Food (18:29)
- Scandinavian Smackdown (25:39)
- Solstice Celebrations (9:34)
- Stockholm (29:44)
- Stockholm al Fresco (29:25)
- Stockholm Plus Swedish Culture (45:01)
- Swedish Vacation (16:39)