When we learn of critical changes to the information in our guidebooks on Poland, we post them here. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
- Flixbus has taken over the PolskiBus routes throughout Poland.
- The Auschwitz museum now opens at 7:30, and the hours that visitors are required to join a tour have changed (April–Oct 10:00–16:00, off-season 10:00–13:00).
For books printed before July 2017, the following may also apply:
- Visitors to Auschwitz I can no longer tour the site on their own during the busiest times (April–Oct 10:00–15:00). If you're there during those hours you'll need to pay 45 zł extra to join a required organized tour. (Auschwitz II, a.k.a. Birkenau, still allows individual visits during all opening hours.)
- Required reservations for entry-time slots to the memorial can fill up months ahead, so book as early as you can commit to a date. If your date is booked up, you have a few options: Book a slot on a foreign-language tour (then split off, seeing the site on your own with the self-guided tour in our guidebook); pay for an excursion through a Kraków-based tour operator (often available up to the day before; consider SeeKrakow, DiscoverCracow, or Cracow City Tours); or try just showing up at the memorial, in which case you'll want to arrive as early as possible (on busy days, try to arrive by 9:00 — keeping in mind that Auschwitz is 1.5 hours from Kraków).
For books printed before August 2018, the following may apply:
- The European Solidarity Center is now closed on Tuesdays in winter (open May–Sept Mon–Fri 10:00–19:00, Sat–Sun 10:00–20:00; Oct–April Mon and Wed–Fri 10:00–17:00, Sat–Sun 10:00–18:00, closed Tue). Regular admission now costs 20 zł.
For books printed before July 2017, the following may apply:
- At Malbork Castle, the telephone number to book a private English tour is +48 55-647-0902. English tours included in the ticket price are usually offered in summer at 10:30 — and castle tickets are now available online.
- In Toruń, bus #25 no longer stops at the Old Town.
- The Museum of Warsaw has reopened on Old Town Square with in-depth exhibits that tell the complicated history of Warsaw.
- Solec 44 restaurant has closed, as have Opasły Tom, Pini Café & Vino, and Kaskrut.